Food insecurity is so real, and it is in our own back yard. The impact of “the virus” on working family’s in our community has been significant. However, it is also true, that the generosity of our community is unparalleled. Not only do you have a sensitivity towards working families in need, but you do something about it – and not just for a season, but all-year-long. Here are some details you may need about Thanksgiving at Mission Arlington.®
What’s Different this Year because of COVID-19?
- We are still delivering meals on Thanksgiving morning, as noted above. The need is greater than ever!
- We will start delivering at 8 a.m. and will continue until 12 p.m.;
- We will follow all health recommendations and guidelines, including social-distancing, masking, and sanitizing;
- Every part of the volunteer experience will be outside, or in your own car.
Thanksgiving Food Needed
Turkeys, Hams, Mix Canned Vegetables, Canned Sweet Potatoes, Canned fruit, Canned pie filling, Canned Cranberry Sauce, Box/Mashed Potatoes, Macaroni and Cheese, Beans/Rice, Tuna, Peanut Butter, Rolls, Pie Crust, stuffing, and carrots. Feel free to add to this list. We are grateful for anything that can be provided.
How You Can Volunteer
- Preparing for Thanksgiving Day: Volunteers are needed in the days and weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. Food needs to be sorted and boxed. Maps need to be matched with deliveries, and so much more. Everything needs to be ready by Thanksgiving morning;
- On Thanksgiving Morning: Volunteers are needed at Mission Arlington® by 8:00 am and on-going through the noon hour and beyond. Turkeys, turkey baskets, and hot meals need to be delivered to waiting families. No need to call. Just show up, and there will be plenty of work for you;
- Bringing a group: If you want to bring a group to volunteer, before Thanksgiving, or on Thanksgiving day, call at 817-277-6620, ext. 6160.
Where To Meet
On Thanksgiving morning, meet outside Mission Arlington’s main office at 210 W. South Street. It takes about 6,000 volunteers to deliver the food, so we need as many people as possible to help. 8:00 a.m. is the official start time, but please come any time you are available. Thank you so much!